When we think of taking part in counselling, we might imagine sitting in an office and speaking in-person with a therapist. Unfortunately, this often meant that mental health support was only available to those who had a care-provider in their area (rural areas are often under-resourced), and was able to make it into the office. If transportation was a problem, or a critical/chronic illness prevented someone from leaving home, therapy wasn’t a viable option.
Thanks to the internet, and the advent of online therapy programs, mental health support is now available to more people. I’ve been offering on-line counselling sessions since September 2018, through a program offered by OnCall Health, and it’s proving to be a good option for people who cannot make it into the office.
Due to CRPO regulations, I can only provide on-line therapy to Ontario residents.
How Does it Work?
It’s easy!? As long as you have a device that is able to download the OnCall Health application, you’re good to go. Here’s the process:
- Contact Blaikie Psychotherapy in the usual way: my website, Psychology Today or Theravive.
- When we have our initial phone or email conversation, let me know that you are interested in on-line therapy.
- Once you have decided that you would like to be with me, I book the session through OnCall Health, and email you the Service Agreement and consent documentation that is usually completed in person at the first session. You will also receive payment instructions.
- You will get the information from OnCall Health about downloading the app. I’ve found their technical support to be amazing. If you have any problems with the computer end of things, you only have to get in touch with them and they’ll walk you through it.
- Email reminders of your sessions are part of the app.
- At the agreed time, we both log onto OnCall Health, and the session begins.
Specifics About OnCall Health
After a lot of research, I specifically chose to use the OnCall Health platform for the? following reasons:
- Confidentiality is a huge component and concern in any therapeutic relationship. OnCall Health ensures confidentiality by having encrypted communications and locating their servers in Canada vs the US.
- Ease of use for both me and my clients. I spoke to colleagues who use OnCall Health and they had very positive things to say. The technical support is strong–which is especially helpful for someone like me who is not computer-savvy!
- The quality of the on-line therapy experience. So far, my experience and those of my clients and colleagues who are using the platform, is that the transmission between client/therapist has been clear and in real-time. No lagging or weird voice delays.
Mental health support should be available to anyone who wants it, and online therapy is a step in that direction. If you are interested in exploring this option for therapy, please contact me at email@example.com.